How To Overcome Habitual Sin And Addictions?
Please contact us if you have any questions, comments, or encouragement.
Addiction and habitual sin go hand in hand. God is the answer to them both. When I was addicted to alcohol and drugs, I was not only an addict but also a sinner lost in my habitual sin. I have learned firsthand that addiction and habitual sin are the same, and the remedy for both is the same, which is by accepting Jesus Christ’s sacrificial death on the cross as payment for my sins to free me!
All sin, including habitual sin, can be overcome by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I have tried to pull myself up by my bootstraps by trying to think positively, but that got me nowhere. We need God’s saving grace! ~ Bill Greguska
Acts 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Another Term For Addiction = Spiritual Warfare
How Can I Change A Habitual Sin?
Dusty Bibles Lead To Dirty Lives!
Visit All Our Pages
How To Pray?
Video On How To Pray More Effectively?
How To Find A Good Church?
Free Christian Counseling
Is There Help For Habitual Sin And Addictions?
Does Sin Lead To Death?
Things To Know To Overcome Sin
- Bad habits must be replaced with good ones. Like the story about Joseph, we have to run from the things that tempt us (Genesis 39:15).
- Christian maturity does not happen instantaneously.
- Choosing to walk closely with God each day takes prayer, discipline, and commitment.
- Without the help of the Lord, sin will creep into our lives. Not probably, but I will.
How Can I Overcome A Habitual Sin?
What Consequences Are There If A Person Continues To Ignore God?
- Less ability to understand and apply God’s Word (if the person reads their Bible).
- Setback and derailing of progress in our spiritual growth.
- Void of intimacy with God.
- Weakness in our prayer life.
What Are Some Things I Can Do?
- Avoid the things that can cause us to fall into sin.
- Consciously making God-honoring choices.
- Exchange bad habits with good ones.
- Flee from temptation.
- Keep on loving Jesus with our hearts, souls, mind, and neighbors as ourselves.
- Proactively pursue spiritual growth.
- Think about Jesus, read His Word, and allow the Holy Spirit to strengthen and guide us
Some Specific Scriptures To Encourage You:
1 John 1:9 ESV
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 5:18 ESV
We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.
1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
1 John 3:9 ESV
No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.
1 John 1:8 ESV
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 ESV
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
Romans 3:23 ESV
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Hebrews 5:14 ESV
But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.
2 Timothy 3:16 ESV
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
Matthew 7:23 ESV
And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
1 John 2:4 ESV
Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,
2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
1 Corinthians 15:33 ESV
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
Romans 6:23 ESV
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Find Hope And Encouragement From Our Links!
- If you just started believing in God, we have a page specifically for you.
- If you are dealing with anger, stress, or depression, we have information to help you.
- We have phone helplines, website links, and YouTube videos.
- You can learn more about us and our purpose.
- If you have a drug/alcohol problem or want to get right with God, you are at the right place!
- If you need to talk to someone right away, you can call 800-633-3446 or click here.
- Finally, if you have any questions or want to get on our email list, just let us know.
For Encouragement, Call 1-800-633-3446 or Chat
Leave A Comment