The Good News Of The Gospel!
The Only Proper RESPONSE To The Gospel Is To BELIEVE It.
Your Faith Alone In Jesus Christ Will Set You Free!
One is saved by God’s grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, based on His finished work alone.
In light of Christ’s death for our sins and bodily resurrection, the issue in salvation is not do, but done. The basis is not our walk, but Christ’s finished work. The means is not works but simply faith.
My analogy would be, let’s say, for example, if a Pastor would say something like, “You need to accept Jesus into your heart.” My analogy is that it would be like trying to tell someone from Illinois how to find the Foot Locker store in Greendale, Wisconsin is by just telling them were Southridge Mall is, but not describing where the Foot Locker store is specifically. There is a chance they will find the store, but there will possibly be unnecessary confusion.
Dealing with eternal life, I think most people would like clear directions to make it to Foot Locker (Heaven) without confusion. I remember many times that I said the “Sinners pray” because I did not seem to be saved, I did that many times, and I asked Jesus into my heart, but it was not until I understood that I was a sinner and could not save myself, I needed a Savior in Jesus Christ.
Today Is The Day To Be Saved
When I claimed the date of June 25, 1986, that I was saved because I was told the Gospel many times (if you do not know the day, the important thing is to know you are saved or not. I did not know for sure if I was saved or not. I wanted to have a specific day, so I prayerfully asked God, and I narrowed it down to that day. It was the very last time I ever smoked marijuana while I was in long term treatment. Many people were trying to help me and pray for me during those years.
I chose that day to be the day that I got the scales off my eyes and could see clearly that I was a sinner heading for hell. It was not necessarily a feeling that I had, it was more of an assurance that I was in God’s hand, and I could not be taken away from Him ever. God wanted me saved because it says in His word, so He said it, I believe it, and that is that!
Keeping The GOSPEL Simple To Understand!
Scriptures From God’s Word, That Explains How One Becomes Saved Through The Gospel Of Jesus Christ.
Acts 16:30-31 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved…”
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.
John 5:24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.
John 6:47 Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life.
John 8:24 I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.”
John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
John 20:31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God and that by believing you may have life in his name.
Let us not garble the Gospel, nor muddle the means to everlasting life by confusing the condition of salvation through telling people such erroneous conditions or wrong responses such as… https://www.wogbc.org
- “asking Jesus into your heart”… He comes when you believe the Gospel, not by asking Him in. (John 1:12; Galatians 4:6)
- “giving your life to Christ”… as He does not want your “dead-in-trespasses and sins” life, but wants to give you a new life in Christ. (John 10:11; 2 Corinthians 5:17)
- “making a commitment to Christ”… as salvation is not assured by your promise/pledge to Christ but on God’s promise/pledge to you. (1 John 2:25, 1 John 5:13)
- “turning over the controls of your life to Christ”… as Romans 12:1 is an exhortation to believers (“brethren”), not to unbelievers.
- “believing plus baptism”… as a believer’s baptism is to be done as a public testimony of one’s faith and identification with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection as a result of being saved – not as a means to salvation. (1 Corinthians 1:17; Acts 8:36-38, Acts 18:8)
The Gospel Illustration
The Bereans Studied God’s Word To Be Sure Of The Truth!
- “believing and keeping the Ten Commandments”… as God never designed the Ten Commandments to be a way of salvation, but to show us our sin and need of the Saviour. (Romans 3:20, Romans 3:28; Gal. 2:16, Gal. 21, Gal. 3:10, Gal. 3:24-26)
- “submitting to Christ’s mastery/lordship in your life”… as James 4:7-10 is clearly a passage for believers (James 1:2, James 1:16, James 1:19, James 2:1, James 3:1, James 3:10, James 3:12, James 4:1, James 4:11), not for unbelievers. And while there is no debate that Christ is Lord, the issue in salvation is. “BELIEVE on the LORD JESUS CHRIST, and thou shalt be saved.” (Acts 16:31)
- “repenting of or confessing your sins”… as 1 John 1:9 is a condition for believers to have “fellowship” with God (1 John 1:3, 1 John 6, 1 John 7) as a child of God (1 John 2:1), not a means to be born again for the unsaved (John 1:12-13). And while one must see he is a sinner before a holy God to see his need of a Saviour, the solution is not confessing one’s sins to God. Instead, it is believing that Christ made full payment for your sins upon the cross (1 John 2:2, 1 John 4:9-10). Otherwise, how many sins must you repent of, how often, in what areas, and how perfectly in order to know you are saved? Confusing, isn’t it? One must repent (change their mind) about trusting Jesus Christ versus something else.
- “praying the sinner’s prayer”… which is found nowhere in the Bible. Where do you find anyone in Scripture leading someone else in prayer to be saved? Nowhere!
- “coming forward”… as the issue is not getting out of your seat, but coming to Christ by faith in Him alone. (John 6:35-40)
Clear Understanding Is So Important
Nobody knows how many people who have come to know Christ by using the terms above (only God knows for sure). But for me dealing with a matter of where I will be spending eternity, either heaven or hell, I want to know for sure what God’s word says and not just rely on terms that, in reality, can be misleading to those who do not understand the Gospel. Christ was born, Christ lived, Christ taught and did miracles, Christ gave Himself up to be crucified for our sins, Christ died, Christ rose from the dead, Christ gave us His Holy Spirit to comfort and guide us. When those of us who believe in Jesus Christ are called children of God and are Born Again.
Now I can almost hear someone screaming out, “But isn’t this all simply a matter of semantics?” My reply to that objection is “yes” and “no” depending on what you mean. Yes, it is a matter of semantics if you mean that word meanings and definitions are very important. On the other hand, this is not a matter of semantics if you mean that “trusting in Jesus Christ alone” and one of these inaccurate, misleading statements are really saying the same thing.
The Writers Of The Scripture
When the Holy Spirit directed the writers of Scripture to record in perfect accuracy the inerrant Word of God, He knew the difference between “pisteuo” (believe) and “aiteo” (ask), or “homologeo” (confess) or “hupotasso” (submit) or “didomi ” (give). Over a hundred plus times in the New Testament, the Holy Spirit decided that “pisteou” (believe) would be the word used to describe the one and only condition of salvation.
Dear friend, if “pisteuo” (believe) was good enough for the Holy Spirit, is it not good enough for you? I exhort you. Do not let your pride (“I’ve taught that cliché in the past”) or your emotions (“I’ve prayed this with my kids”) or your religious traditions (“our church has always said that”) get in the way of truth and biblical accuracy on the most important issue that anyone must address. I appeal to you to do away with these “sacred cows” of modern evangelicalism and let us return to the authoritative Word of God to embrace what the Lord says about our eternal salvation.
Acts 16:30-31He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved…”
What If My Problems Seem Out Of Control?
Find Hope And Encouragement From Our Links!
- If you just started believing in God, we have a page specifically for you.
- If you are dealing with anger, stress, or depression, we have information that can be of help to you.
- We have phone helplines, website links, youtube videos.
- You can learn more about us and our goals and our purpose.
- If you have a drug/alcohol problem, or if you want to get right with God, you are at the right place!
- If you need to talk to someone right away, you can call 800-633-3446 or click here.
- Finally, if you have any questions, or would like to get on our email list, just let us know.
For Encouragement Call 1-800-633-3446 or Chat