How To Pray? (More Confidently, And More Effectively!)
Please contact us if you have questions or if you need some encouragement.
Prayer is a beautiful and sacred act that bridges the gap between our human selves and the divine presence of God. It is a conversation, an exchange of thoughts and emotions, hopes and fears, gratitude and repentance. There is no right or wrong way to pray; it simply requires sincerity, faith, and an intention to align oneself with God’s will. As we direct our devotion towards the Holy Trinity – God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit – we open ourselves up to receive guidance, comfort, and spiritual growth.
For many years I had approached prayer as a list of requests or desires presented before God. However, it was during one serene moment at McCarthy park that my perspective shifted entirely. Sitting on a bench overlooking the tranquil lagoon, I uttered a different kind of prayer – instead of telling God what I wanted for myself or others; I humbly asked Him: “What do you want me to do Lord?” That simple question marked the beginning of a new chapter in my prayer life – one filled with purposeful surrender. Since then, praying in this manner has become truly meaningful for me. If something is worth worrying about, it is worth praying for. Adopting the acronym “PRAY” has helped me structure my prayers more effectively: Praise – acknowledging His greatness and expressing adoration; Repent – confessing sins genuinely while seeking forgiveness; Ask – presenting specific requests earnestly; Yield to the will of God. ~ Bill Greguska
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
How Do I Give Everything To God In Prayer?
- It is wise and essential to confess to God any unconfessed sins before praying. (Confession)
- When you begin praying, thank God for something He has blessed or protected you from. (Praise)
- You can also talk to God as though He is a friend (if you have been Born Again) since He died for your sins and mine. (Relationship)
- You can ask God what you feel you need in your life or a need for someone you know. The words you choose are not as important as your heart’s sincerity of your heart. (Requests)
- When praying, it is a two-way conversation, not just you talking to God, but you also earnestly and diligently understand what God wants from you and is trying to have you know and apply this to your life. ~ Bill Greguska
What If Your Healing Has To Come Through Tears?
Prayer Doesn’t Always Need To Be Formal?
Because the Holy Spirit lives IN us, He is intimately connected with the Father & Son. Our every thought is before Him night and day, YES – I believe it is more and more us becoming aware of that fact so that prayer is less & less a “formal” thing and more and more a profoundly integral working, living mainstream reality of our lives. ~ Sue Sauer
Here Are Seven Reasons Why We Need To Pray:
- Prayer Builds Our Relationship With Jesus Christ.
- It Helps Us Overcome Temptation.
- When We Pray, It Helps Us Determine God’s Will In Our Life.
- When We Pray, It Helps Us To Accomplish God’s Work.
- We Can Think Of Prayer As A Weapon of Spiritual Warfare Against Satan.
- It Is A Prerequisite To Having A Spiritual Awakening.
- Prayer Is Valuable To Have A Close Relationship With God.
A Very Simple Step-By-Step Way How To Pray!
Lord, what do you want me to do?
I know that I am tempted to do what is wrong…
I know I know what my options are…
How To Pray In The Morning!
Some Simple Ideas About How To Pray!
Ten Tips On How To Pray
- Decide on a quiet place to pray and read. Try to pray in the morning (or at least at the same time and place daily). In your favorite chair?
- Engage Bible verses to help you pray specifically.
- Write your thoughts on what you want to say to God.
- Find a way to write down prayers and follow up with answered prayers.
- Find your way to express your love for God and God’s word.
- Do not pretend there is a sure way to impress God or others with your prayers.
- Talk with others about their prayer life and read up on prayer.
- Keep your Bible studying fresh and exciting. Change up once in a while how you do things.
- Remember, you are a work in progress, be patient with yourself.
- Try to talk less and listen more; do not let things distract you.
Learn How To Pray With Help From Billy Graham!
Billy Graham Talks About Prayer!
Prayer is directly talking to God—the most important thing I can say about this is that God wants you to speak to Him! He loves us and promises to hear us when we pray. How can you learn to pray? First, understand why prayer is possible. Prayer is possible because Jesus Christ has removed the barrier between us and God—a barrier caused by our sins. Sin separates us from God, and we have no right to come before Him. But Christ paid the penalty for our sins and removed the barrier by His death on the cross. God than us the privilege of coming into His presence when we commit our lives to Christ.
The Bible says, “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need” (Hebrews 4:16). If you have never done so, ask Christ to come into your life today. Then understand that God now welcomes you into His presence and promises to hear you—and He cannot lie. The Bible says, “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us” (1 John 5:14). Trust His promises and learn to bring every concern to Him in prayer.
Some Specific Scriptures To Encourage You:
Matthew 6:6 ESV
But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
James 5:16 ESV
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
Romans 8:26 ESV
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 ESV
Pray without ceasing,
Philippians 4:6 ESV
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
Matthew 6:9-13 ESV
Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Matthew 6:7 ESV
And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
Ephesians 6:18 ESV
Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
Mark 11:24 ESV
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
1 John 5:14 ESV
And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.
1 Timothy 2:8 ESV
I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling;
John 15:7 ESV
If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
James 4:3 ESV
You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.
Matthew 6:7-9 ESV
And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. Pray then like this: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.
Find Hope And Encouragement From Our Links!
- If you just started believing in God, we have a page specifically for you.
- If you are dealing with anger, stress, or depression, we have information to help you.
- We have phone helplines, website links, and YouTube videos.
- Learn more about us, our goals, and our purpose.
- If you have a drug/alcohol problem or want to get right with God, you are at the right place!
- If you need to talk to someone right away, you can call 800-633-3446 or click here.
- Finally, if you have any questions or want to get on our email list, just let us know.
For Encouragement, Call 800-633-3446 or Chat