Please contact us if you have any questions or comments or want some encouragement.
Why Is Prayer So Important If God Controls Everything?
1. Why Is Prayer So Important?
I have never been a person who could pray eloquently, but God does not make that a prerequisite to talk with or listening to God. I have always believed in prayer, yet I have not always been faithful to pray regularly. Prayer is so important because it is our way of communicating with God. He created us and has a plan for our lives. I grew up playing basketball, and like going to the coaches, I had direction, instruction, and sometimes encouragement. That is similar to how I go to God, who created me, loves me, and knows what is best for me, far greater than any human could understand.
2. How To Pray?
It was not until several years ago that I started to pray regularly each morning after reading my devotional and Bible. At first, it was somewhat of a choir, but then it became a daily habit that I cheerfully look forward to doing each morning when I wake up. I learned to pray by talking to God as if He were sitting next to me. He is actually in the form of the Holy Spirit). I respectfully speak to Got as if talking to a close friend, for that is what He is to me.
3. What Is Prayer?
You, too, can make prayer a part of your life, and trust me that it will make a difference in your life. You will notice almost right away. It will be your connection to God and a lamp unto your feet to know better what His will for you and your life is. Pray is my connection to the source of how I get my marching orders to start the day and orders throughout the day when I am confronted with circumstances that I need help with. ~ Bill Greguska
Learn That There Are Different Ways To Pray!
There is no right way to pray because you communicate with God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit when you pray. When you talk, talk as though you are talking to a friend sitting right next to you. Because in all reality, God is your friend and loves you more than any friend you have ever known. Some people, like myself, prefer to pray quietly in the morning or with others in a group setting.
Your prayers do not have to be polished or eloquent to have God hear them. Some people lift their hands, others fold them, but most important is your heart’s position to be sincere with God. Make sure you stop to listen to God to hear if He has an answer right away or if you need to wait on the Lord?
Learn How To Pray More Effectively
- Learn how to pray more efficiently and more powerfully.? Have you ever wondered the best way how to pray? The best way to share something I am thankful for is with God. Then confess a sin or sins that I committed. Then ask God to forgive me for my sin or sins. The best way to pray is to intimately confess any sin, ask for forgiveness, and thank God for blessings, others’ needs, and yourself. When we meditate, we are personally listening to God and trying to understand God’s will in our life. Prayer is our connection with God.
I also pray for all the victims I hear about on the news and even for others in my personal life struggling with health issues, relationship issues, stress, depression, etc. When I do this right, I pray for things for myself in the end. ~ Bill Greguska
The Prayer For Spiritual Power! ~ Tony Evans
Learn How To Turn Almost Any Scriptures Into A Prayer!
There are many commands God gives us in His Word. If God wants us to do these things, I think it would make sense for us to pray for God to make them real in our life. We need to start using the scriptures when praying more like this:
- Lord, you have commanded me to be strong and courageous, you are my shield of protection, and you have promised me that you will be with me where ever I go to help me fight my battles. I need not be afraid. (Similar to Joshua 1:9)
- Lord, I trust and believe you when you tell me to cast my worries and fears onto you. I know you will hear my prayers because you care for me when I cry out to you. (Similar to 1 Peter 5:7)
- Lord, sometimes there are others with who I have problems getting along. Open my eyes to let me see if the problem lies within me. Otherwise, please bless ______ (the other person) and help me live at peace with everyone if possible as far as it depends on me. (Similar to Romans 12:18)
- Lord, I have been battling like a pit bull inside my mind. Please help me submit all my ways to you and keep the devil far away from me. I know you can do this, so I thank you for answering my prayer ahead of time. (Similar to James 4:7)
More Examples In How To Turn Scripture Into Prayer!
- Lord, I thank you for being here for me whenever I have a need or problem. When I need wisdom, you are always a prayer away and answer my cries for help. You tell us that if we lack understanding, we ought to come to you and give us what we need without any shame. Thank you so much. (Similar to James 1:5)
- Lord, sometimes women do not dress appropriately. Please help convict their hearts, and in the meantime, guard our hearts so that we men do not lust after their beauty or become captivated by their eyes. (Similar to Proverbs 6:25)
- Lord, help us trust in you even though ________ (is happening), give us the confidence to know that you always meet our needs somehow or another, help us not to trust our judgment until after we pray about it to you, and you give us the green light. Help us always go to you for our directions in life, and we thank you for your faithfulness. (Similar to Proverbs 3:5-6)
- Lord, I pray for ________. Would you please rescue them from the things that hinder them, be it a false religious system, poor relationships, or a troubled past? Open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light and from Satan’s power to God so they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those sanctified by faith. (Similar to Acts 26:17-18)
Let the Holy Spirit Guide You
My top fear is public speaking, but I often have to give presentations. One time, I prayed in my mind before going up in front of the class. I asked the Holy Spirit to be with me as I present. I felt the Holy Spirit within me comforting me as I went up there. It made me feel a lot better, and I ended up doing well. The Holy Spirit dwells within every believer. He’s there to help us. Before going to meetings or get-togethers, ask the Holy Spirit to guide you and calm your nerves. The Bible says, “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people by the will of God.” (Romans 8:26–27). Cling to the promises of God. He is with you always — even when you pray.
Take a Deep Breath
This is another technique I’ve used to help calm me. I become very anxious when it comes to public speaking. This includes praying in public. I’ve noticed, though, that taking a deep breath helps calm my mind for a moment. Instead of all the anxious thoughts, my mind instilled. Still your mind with a deep breath before prayer time. Focus on your breathing and nothing else. When you’ve calmed your mind, start to pray.
Keep Your Prayers Short
You don’t have to be eloquent in your prayers. Keep your prayers short and simple. Please don’t feel bad about it either. It’s okay. The Bible says, “When you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words” (Matthew 6:7 ESV). It’s better to have a sin, brief prayer than an insincere long, and wordy prayer. Pray using your own words. God hears you.
Practice Praying Out Loud When You’re Alone
If you do something multiple times, you’re bound to get more comfortable with it. When you’re alone, pray out loud. You don’t have to stress about people watching or listening to you pray. Just pray for what’s on your mind. We started getting serious about prayer, I’d sit on one chair, set up a second chair, and talk to Jesus as if he were sitting on that chair. It helped me feel like He was indeed there.
Practice Praying With Others
The best way to get more comfortable with doing something is to practice. I’ve never really liked praying in front of others, but once I started practicing, it came naturally. If you’re called to pray in front of others, do it. It doesn’t have to be eloquent or lengthy. You can keep it simple. If you’re not feeling up to the task of volunteering, try practicing with:
- family members
- someone in leadership
Whenever you have a chance to pray, try to do so. The only way you’ll gain more confidence is if you practice.
Keep a List of Prayer Ideas
You might not know what to pray for on the spot. That’s okay. Try keeping a list of prayer ideas. To help you get the ball rolling, I’ve compiled a shortlist of prayer ideas.
- ask for prayer requests
- give thanks
- confess your sins
- pray for Christians who are persecuted
- pray for leaders in the church
- pray for your needs
- pray scripture over your life
- ask for direction in your life
- pray for unspoken prayer requests
Finally, don’t worry about messing up. It’s a process. Praying publicly can be intimidating — especially when you’re new to it.
- Let the Holy Spirit guide you.
- Take a deep breath.
- Keep your prayers short.
- Practice praying out loud when you’re alone.
- Practice praying with others.
- Keep a list of prayer ideas.
Find Hope And Encouragement From Our Links!
- If you just started believing in God, we have a page specifically for you.
- If you are dealing with anger, stress, or depression, we have information to help you.
- We have phone helplines, website links, and YouTube videos.
- You can learn more about us, our goals, and our purpose.
- If you have a drug/alcohol problem, or if you want to get right with God, you are at the right place!
- If you need to talk to someone right away, you can call 800-633-3446 or click here.
For More Encouragement Call 1-800-633-3446 or Chat