How I Found Jesus? And How You Can Too!
My name is Bill Greguska. I want to try to explain to you as clearly as I can:
How I was before I found Jesus.
How I found Jesus
How Jesus changed my life.
If you have any specific questions that seem to be holding you back from having faith in God or to understand the Bible a little better, please visit GotQuestions.org or contact us.
My choice to have a relationship with God has been the best decision I have ever made. The results of my decision not only affect me here on earth but eternally in heaven. I will never regret my decision, and I am thankful to God for what He has done for us on the cross! ~ Bill Greguska
Watch This Video, Then Read Below How I Found Jesus!
BEFORE I FOUND JESUS
- I was very rebellious, and I became addicted to drugs and alcohol for ten years after my best friend Steve unexpectedly died. Partying simply became my way of life, which helped me escape into a world of wild parties, and not face reality and all the pressures I was feeling from school and even competitive basketball as a teenager. Unfortunately, I embraced that way of life fully for many years until I was 26 years old.
- But before I became addicted, I was heavily involved in high school basketball, and I got pretty competitive after playing for so many years. But once my addiction got a hold of me, I was only concerned about what pleased my flesh. I did whatever drugs I could get my hands on. I even tried doing aerosols, angle dust, and acid. I was simply wild, and I did not know how to stop. I became self-centered, sinful, and was heading for big trouble. I focused on only what I thought could make me happy or would be fun.
- It was like I was a train going downhill with no brakes. Looking back, I do not know how I did not overdose, or someone would have shot me, or even I do not know how I did not commit suicide when I was 16. I was a train wreck ready to happen. Thankfully my mom seemed always to help steer me out of getting in trouble, or now I can say it was God watching over me through my mom and others.
- After realizing that I hurt people physically and emotionally, including myself, I was ready to ask God to change me from the inside out.
- I stole some things, lied, had sex outside of marriage, etc. – I was a real mess.
- During these years, God put many people in my life to wake me up. I went to Depaul for alcohol and drug treatment, Dewey center for alcohol and drug treatment, 12 step meeting for both NA and AA, and also jail, and physiatric care, but until I had ears to hear, my heart was far from God, and I had no way out.
HOW I FOUND JESUS
- The Holy Spirit told me not in audible words but in my heart and mind that I was not living right, and I was heading for hell, prison, mental hospital, or even death if I did not change my ways. I was not a stranger to God, but my relationship with Him before I was Born Again, was attending church on Sundays and trying to be good while still living for my own will, not for God.
- It was not until God placed me in a long-term drug and alcohol treatment center, and on June 25, 1986, after smoking my last marijuana cigarette while I was still in treatment, I felt convicted right then and there. I knew I hit my bottom, and I needed God’s help. I have dodged too many bullets in the Russian roulette game I was playing with my life.
- After I finally realized that I needed help. I pleaded with God to help me, and I told Him I would cooperate with the treatment program. At this point, I knew God was speaking to me because He opened my ears. I was given another second chance, but this one was the real thing. When things started to change, I was determined to have God take away my addiction and the sinful life I was living.
- It was almost like how consumed I became by the addiction. I put that same energy into living my recovery and new clean and sober life with the help of God!
- I realized I could not keep living the way I was, and I needed God to help me without any doubt or question in my mind. After I decided to put all my chips in, and I stopped holding any back anymore. I finally got serious, and I knew what powered my life was something new to me: the Holy Spirit!
HOW JESUS CHANGED MY LIFE?
- It amazed me how God took away my powerful and aggressive desire to use drugs and alcohol and the way He gave me people to help me quit, which was miraculous, and I eagerly listened to them. The change in my life was gradual, but the commitment to give my life to Jesus was real, and to this day, I never turned back.
- He also took away my powerful addiction to cigarettes. I smoked 2-3 packs a day for about ten years.
- God took away the clenched fists towards Him and replaced them with an openness to doing His will rather than my own. He gave me a new heart since my old heart was contaminated with sin.
- God gave me a desire to read His word daily, pray, journal, and have fellowship with other believers.
- He rescued me from the life I was leading, giving me a new life – what the Bible calls being Born Again. God gave me a desire to encourage others by pointing others to Jesus.
It Was Like God Did Surgery On Me, And It Worked!
- Whatever your life looks like right now, God can help you to if you are willing to humble yourself to Him as I did.
- My life is not perfect, but I have a relationship with the Creator of the universe, and my destiny is heaven, not hell, prison, mental hospital, or premature death because of God’s grace.
- It would be a lie if I told you that if you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior tonight, that all your problems would go away. Some consequences sometimes remain, but after receiving Jesus, I no longer had to walk along, making bad choices. But, now I have Jesus to re-direct me with my Bible’s help and through prayer and fellowship with other believers.
- Now you know how I found Jesus, and I have found peace by giving my life for the Lord Jesus. I hope you do the same if you did not already do so. God loves you and wants us to have a personal relationship with you too. John 3:16
If you have any questions about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, or any other faith-based questions, visit GotQuestions.org.
What If My Problems Seem Out Of Control?
Find Hope And Encouragement From Our Links!
- If you just started believing in God, we have a page specifically for you.
- If you are dealing with anger, stress, or depression, we have information to help you.
- We have phone helplines, website links, youtube videos.
- You can learn more about us and our goals, and our purpose.
- If you have a drug/alcohol problem or if you want to get right with God, you are at the right place!
- If you need to talk to someone right away, you can call 800-633-3446 or click here.
- Finally, if you have any questions or want to get on our email list, just let us know.
For Encouragement Call 1-800-633-3446 or Chat