Friendships Are The Hardest Ships To Sail!
Friendships are wonderful when all is going well, but sometimes things get out of whack, and practicing good friendship principles is very important.
Learn some ideas on how to deal with friendships with others in a little better way. ~ Bill Greguska
Romans 12:18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- Be More Friendly
- Be More Like Jesus
- Challenging Relationships
- Denying Yourself
- Forgive And Forget
- Friends Can Help
- Get To Know Others
- Healthy Friendships
- How To Be Kind?
- How To Live Right?
- Nominate Someone
- Peer Pressure
- Share Compassion
- Understanding Others
- Wisdom In Relationships
Biblical Friendship Information Here!
A True Friend Points You to God and His Word!
Compared to Someone Who Pulls You Away From God!
- What are some of your responsibilities in being a good friend to someone?
- What does forgiveness have to do with friendship?
- What are the three most essential things in a healthy friendship?
- What do you need to do if you have hurt a friend’s feelings?
- What does the statement “Do on to others as you would have them do to you.” Mean to you?
- What is the biggest strength you feel you have when it comes to friendship?
- What is a weakness you have that you have concerning friendship?
Three Christian Types of Friends Found in the Bible And Your Life?
- Everyone needs a friend like Apostle Paul (Mentor)
- Everyone needs to be a friend like Timothy (Mentee)
- Everyone needs a friend like Barnabas (Encourager)
Acquaintance or Associate:
Defined is a familiarity with someone, but there isn’t usually a personal relationship for example:
- Grocery store
- Church member
Favorable Friends Can Be Categorized as a:
- Cheerleader friend– encourages and gives moral support for someone’s faith, healthy interests, work, and activities.
- Good-Time Charlie friend– hangs out with an intent to have a good time or for stress relief.
- Kindred Spirit friend– provides emotional, spiritual, or moral support, willing to get involved.
Strategist friend– assists with helping to develop, think through, and achieve a goal.
- True Friend — Someone who will provide emotional support and remain friends during good and bad times without exceptions.
Unfavorable Friends Can Be Classified as a:
- Conditional friend– a requirement placed on a relationship that’s dependent on a specific need being met.
- Counterfeit friend– gives the impression of being a friend, but isn’t someone who can be trusted.
- Fair-Weather friend– disappears during a time of need but will return once a bad time or situation passes.
- Leech friend– drains an individual of their energy.
- Occasional friend– friendly during certain times, but suddenly stops being friendly without any reason or notice. At a later time, the person will be friendly (again) on their terms.
- Negative friend– considers themselves to be friends, but is always pessimistic about things related to the friendship or the things that their friend does.
- Noncommittal friend– goes back-and-forth on their belief(s), support, assistance, etc.
- Situational friend– an individual suddenly becomes friendly once a particular event occurs that there might be a personal benefit.
- Spiteful friend– jealous of someone’s efforts to achieve or actual success.
- Toxic friend- gives an impression of providing support but actively works to undermine their efforts.
Five Question Homework Assignment:
- Pick one person in your life that you want to strengthen your friendship with, and ask God to give you the strength and wisdom to know how to do it.
- Determine if you call, text, email your friends too much or not enough?
- Determine if you allow your friends to talk, or do you dominate the conversations typically?
- Determine if you are transparent enough with your thoughts and feelings?
- Determine if your conversations and activities are those that honor God?
A Deep Friendship is When Someone Knows Your Soul,
You Know Theirs, And Their Faults And Weaknesses,
But That Does Not Negatively Affect The Friendship!
Scriptures About Friendship
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.
A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.
Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
1 Thessalonians 5:11
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
Oil and perfume make the heart glad, and the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel.
Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy.
“He who withholds kindness from a friend forsakes the fear of the Almighty.
Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.
A dishonest man spreads strife, and a whisperer separates close friends.
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
1 Peter 4:8-10
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace:
Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man, lest you learn his ways and entangle yourself in a snare.
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!
One who is righteous is a guide to his neighbor, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.
Whoever covers an offense seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates close friends.
You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.
That is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith, both yours and mine.
Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy.
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you.
Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man, lest you learn his ways and entangle yourself in a snare. Be not one of those who give pledges, who put up security for debts. If you have nothing with which to pay, why should your bed be taken from under you?
1 John 4:7
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.
Do not forsake your friend and your father’s friend, and do not go to your brother’s house in the day of your calamity. Better is a neighbor who is near than a brother who is far away.
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.
As in water face reflects face, so the heart of man reflects the man.
Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered.
A Song of Ascents. Of David. Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.
For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
“Do two walk together, unless they have agreed to meet?
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
When a man’s ways please the Lord, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
1 Samuel 18:1
As soon as he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.
Let your foot be seldom in your neighbor’s house, lest he have his fill of you and hate you.
1 John 4:21
And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.
I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy,
For the devious person is an abomination to the Lord, but the upright are in his confidence.
Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed.
But it is you, a man, my equal, my companion, my familiar friend.
Put no trust in a neighbor; have no confidence in a friend; guard the doors of your mouth from her who lies in your arms;
As I was in my prime, when the friendship of God was upon my tent,
My friends scorn me; my eye pours out tears to God,
1 John 3:7
Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous.
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
Trusting in a treacherous man in time of trouble is like a bad tooth or a foot that slips.
Whoever blesses his neighbor with a loud voice, rising early in the morning, will be counted as cursing.