How Can I Hear God Speak To Me?
What Should We Do When We Can’t Hear God Speak?
Do You Hear God Speak To You?
Hear God Speak!
Sometimes it is hard to hear God speak to me. When a person has any unconfessed sin in their life, it is true that God will not answer the prayers of those people like God would want to.
James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
When we are not walking with God, it is like we are miles away. The only real way to get back into fellowship with God is through prayer, confession, repentance.
Below you will see different ways that God can talk to you and me. We are all different, so what works for one person may not be something that usually works for others. Check out the list and see what you find. ~ Bill Greguska
Hear God Speak Through Charles Stanley
How Can I Hear God Speak To Me!
Hear God speak through prayer, the Bible, meditation, and others.
Sometimes it is hard to hear God speak to us, especially when there is unconfessed sin in our lives, or when we are not walking with God.
Here are some exciting ways below how we can hear God speak, We open up our heart to hear God talking to us. This list is only a beginning because God can choose to speak with us any way He wants! There are also guidelines, so we do not go astray.
God Commands His Angels, And They Hear God Speak!
God Can Speak To Us In Multi-Level Ways!
- Angels – messengers from God. 1 Corinthians 13:1
- Bible – the holy, super-slow, spiritual reading and application of the Scriptures, and can include using the five senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. Lectio Divina or divine reading is sometimes described as “reading with the mind in the heart.”The written revelation of God’s Word is combined with the way the Holy Spirit quickens particular portions as a direct word in a present circumstance.
- Circumstances – confirming situations and events that all seem to point in the same direction often combined with a profound sense of inner peace. Colossians 3:15.
- Common Sense – the ordinary use of rational, good judgment through experience and logical thinking.
- Conscience – knowing right from wrong. See Romans 2:15; 9:1.
- Emotions – a gut-level feeling, desire, impulse, impression, arresting concern, or insistent nudge.
- Encounter – a phenomenal experience with God without words, but leaving an overwhelming message or strong impression.
- Intellectual Reasoning – cognitive, mental processing and evaluating of data leading to clear conclusions like connecting pieces of a puzzle.
- Intuition – knowing spontaneously the right thing to do or say.
5 Ways To Hear God Speak
More Ways God Can Speak to us!
- Journaling – writing down times of communion or conversations with God.
- Meditation – memorization, repetition and prayerful rumination of Scripture texts. Hear God speak to you.
- Memory – the remembrance of an event, thought or Scripture previously learned. John 2:22; John 14:26.
- Music – meditative or worshipful music that brings stillness, a sense of God’s presence, or a spirit of praise.
- Nature – the silent shouting of God’s creation, or personal messages that occur through ordinary created objects such as a flower or a tree. See Psalm 19:1-4.
- Prophecy – a timely message or utterance through an individual from God to strengthen, encourage or comfort that person or that group of people at that particular time. See 1 Corinthians 14:3.
- Preaching and Teaching – a public presentation of the Word of God and applied by the Holy Spirit to the individual. Take notes and listen to hear God speak to you.
- Thoughts – ideas or principles, words or pictures that grow with increasing awareness, clarity, unfolding, intensity, conviction, or volume in mind.
- Word of Wisdom – an appropriate, instantaneous insight for a particular occasion, to make a right decision, to discern right from wrong, or to resolve, help or heal a specific situation or need
What are the top three ways God frequently uses to speak to you? Which one is a current area of spiritual growth?
Rev. David John Smith
How To Test When You Hear God’s Voice!
Lectio Divina Prayer And Meditation (Hear God Speak)
The Lectio Divina Gets Broken Up Into Four Parts:
- Lectio (Read)- The first part will take two to five minutes to ask God to speak, and then (Select a scripture or use one of your favorites). Then read your selected scripture (no more than three verses) aloud several times. The reason we read it aloud is actually to hear it. Sometimes understanding a passage, especially a familiar one, helps us see it freshly.
- Meditatio (Mediate)- The second part is to meditate, and this will require approximately 15-20 minutes. When meditating on the scriptures, you go over and over again waiting with hope that God will bring up to you a word or phrase, or concept from the scripture.
- Oratio (Pray)– The third step of Lectio Divina is a prayer which will take about 5-15 minutes. Your prayer is a direct response to God over the time of meditation, whether you are making impassioned pleas, more confession, or personal requests.
- Contempliatio (Contemplation) Finally, and probably the most difficult of all is contemplation. Contemplation is merely resting in and enjoying the presence of God, and this is where silence is most important. It is also the time when God may choose to speak to your soul. It usually takes another 25-40 minutes. The hard part about this is not talking, because we are so used to talking and noise while God tends to whisper to see if we are seeking Him and listening to Him. Mark 1:35
The Purpose Of Lectio Divina Is To Meet With God!
I Want To Hear God Speak!
Here Are Some Helpful Links:
- Does God still speak to us today?
- How can I tap into the wisdom of God?
- Does it mean something special that God speaks in a still small voice?
- To have a personal relationship with God means what?
- What is Christian Devotional Meditation?
Tips On How To Hear God Speak To You!
What If My Problems Seem Out Of Control?
Find Hope And Encouragement From Our Links!
- If you just started believing in God, we have a page specifically for you.
- If you are dealing with anger, stress, or depression, we have information that can be of help to you.
- We have phone helplines, website links, youtube videos.
- You can learn more about us and our goals and our purpose.
- If you have a drug/alcohol problem, or if you want to get right with God you are at the right place!
- If you need to talk to someone right away, you can call 800-633-3446 or click here.
- Finally, if you have any questions, or would like to get on our email list, just let us know.
For Encouragement Call 1-800-633-3446 or Chat
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments, or would just like some encouragement!
We need to keep a short account with God, confessing our sins, repenting, and honoring Jesus Christ in all we say and do. He knows that our flesh is weak, yet He is still full of mercy, compassion, and forgiveness. We need to love God and love others; then you will know you are in God’s will. ~ Bill Greguska