Please contact us if you have questions or if you need some encouragement.
While I have been very fortunate to have had good counseling over the years, there have been an instance or two of bad counseling that can leave a person feeling discouraged and hopeless. One particular experience with a Christian counselor who was way out of line with me. Instead of providing support during my separation and possible divorce, this person was brutally mean and insensitive towards me. It’s disheartening when those who are supposed to help us end up doing more harm than good.
However, I’ve learned that inadequate counseling can happen to anyone. That’s why it’s crucial to get references from people you know and trust before committing to a counselor. There are many wonderful counselors available who can offer valuable insight into our thoughts and feelings while helping us reason things out more clearly – especially Christian counselors who bring faith-based perspectives into their work! So if you’re looking for guidance on life challenges or just need someone to talk to, don’t be discouraged by past experiences of bad counseling – keep searching until you find the right fit for your needs! ~ Bill Greguska
Bad Counseling Exposed!
Avoid Bad Counseling From Good Intended People!
When I was going through my divorce, a Christian from church volunteered to come to my house to talk with me. It turned out that he spoke so much and did not understand the hurt and pain that I was experiencing. All he wanted to do was quote scriptures at me over and over relentlessly. Unfortunately, I had to ask him to leave my house. This bad experience taught me that when people seek counsel, they need to be heard—and directed after being listened to. People can mean well but do more harm than good. Be careful who you allow to counsel you. Avoid bad counseling at all costs! Let the Lord be your direct line of counsel. Allow the Lord to put the right people in your life to help you. ~ Bill Greguska
But please don’t let one bad experience deter you from getting the support you need! Inadequate counseling may happen sometimes, so always ensure that whoever you choose as your counselor comes highly recommended by someone you trust or seek advice from professionals online if needed. There are many wonderful counselors available who will listen without judgment or criticism while helping guide us towards making positive changes within ourselves – including Christian counselors! Remember: we all need someone to share our thoughts & feelings with at times; don’t give up on finding the right fit for yourself!
Or if you rather text JESUS (53787) To talk to a Christian who cares!
Mistake #1: Bad Counseling Is Giving Advice Without Truly Listening
- My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. (James 1:19)
- The first to present his case seems right till another comes forward and questions him. (Proverbs 18:17)
Mistake #2: Bad Counseling Is Displaying A Judgmental Spirit
- For this reason, he had to be made like his brothers to become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God and make atonement for the people’s sins. Because he suffered when he was tempted, he could help those tempted. (Hebrews 2:18)
- For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. (Hebrews 4:15)
Mistake #3: Bad Counseling Is Talking Too Much
Mistake #4: Bad Counseling Is Giving Worldly Advice
- See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. (Colossians 2:8)
- All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:17)
- For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)
Mistake #5: Bad Counseling Is Not Suggesting Homework
Some Specific Scriptures To Encourage You:
Proverbs 15:22 ESV
Without counsel, plans fail, but with many advisers, they succeed.
Proverbs 24:6 ESV
For by wise guidance, you can wage your war, and in abundance of counselors, there is victory.
Proverbs 19:20-21 ESV
Listen to advice and accept instruction that you may gain wisdom in the future. Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.
Proverbs 13:10 ESV
By insolence comes nothing but strife, but with those who take advice is wisdom.
Proverbs 20:18 ESV
Plans are established by counsel, by wise guidance, wage war.
Psalm 1:1-5 ESV
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers, but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law, he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
Proverbs 28:26 ESV
Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered.
Proverbs 19:20 ESV
Listen to advice and accept instruction that you may gain wisdom in the future.
Proverbs 1:7 ESV
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Find Hope And Encouragement From Our Links!
- If you just started believing in God, we have a page specifically for you.
- If you are dealing with anger, stress, or depression, we have information to help you.
- We have phone helplines, website links, and YouTube videos.
- You can learn more about us, our goals, and our purpose.
- If you have a drug/alcohol problem or want to get right with God, you are at the right place!
- If you need to talk to someone right away, you can call 800-633-3446 or click here.
- Finally, if you have any questions or get on our email list, just let us know.