How Would You Describe Gentleness?
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments, or would just like some encouragement?
Looking back at past disagreements with others, if I were to have used more gentleness rather than righteousness, I might have come up on top of more situations than I did in the past! ~ Bill Greguska
Philippians 4:5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
A Fruit Of The Spirit Is Gentleness
What Does Gentleness Mean To You?
One of the purposes of the Holy Spirit is to work in us to be more like Christ (Galatians 5:22-23). Remember that another word for gentleness can be “meekness,” which does not mean weakness. Think about it for a minute; it takes a very strong person to be genuinely gentle! Our instincts lead us to be angry, rude, aggressive, demanding.
But with the wisdom given to us by the Holy Spirit, we begin to see why we should ultimately submit to God as Lord of our lives. Gentleness places our strength under God’s guidance; rather than our instincts, it is a powerful tool for living a godly life when our goal is to follow Christ’s example.
What Gentleness Is Not!
To be gentle is to understand that God’s ways and thoughts are high above our own (Isaiah 55:9). It is to humbly realize that our worldviews are formed by exposure to sin.
I have not always been a gentleman; there have been many times in my life. I have fallen far short of gentleness and allowed my anger and selfishness to control me. How about you? Is kindness one of the controlling factors in your life? ~ Bill Greguska
“In a world that cheers when athletes smash into each other and applauds insults as a form of entertainment, is gentleness even relevant anymore?” Eddie Foster
Examples Of Gentleness That Are Not Common!
- Apologize quickly after an “emotional outburst.” Keep in mind that we are human beings with many powerful emotions that can temporarily get out of control. Still, a gentle person will realize how the things they’ve said might have affected others and will apologize asap, they seek to make amends and attempt to gain the self-control that will prevent such outbursts in the future.
- Remind ourselves of God’s gentleness, and how would we want God to correct us or point something out to us? The way we do to others? I am sure, not always.
- Think about what our attitude looks like: When we see someone doing something wrong, is our hammer out ready to bash some heads? Or, instead, is our notebook out with ideas of how to help someone overcome a sin? Getting these pictures in our heads can sometimes make us aware of our shortcomings and will eventually get us reaching for the notebook or Bible rather than the harsh words or the hammer.
Real Strength Is Found In Gentleness!
Scriptures That Refer To Gentleness:
- Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things, there is no law.
- Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
- 1 Peter 3:15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.
- Matthew 5:44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
- Philippians 4:5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
What If My Problems Seem Out Of Control?
We Pray You Find Hope And Encouragement From Our Links!
- If you just started believing in God, we have a page specifically for you.
- If you are dealing with anger, stress, or depression, we have information that can be of help to you.
- We have phone helplines, website links, youtube videos.
- You can learn more about us and our goals and our purpose.
- If you have a drug/alcohol problem, or if you want to get right with God you are at the right place!
- If you need to talk to someone right away, you can call 800-633-3446 or click here.
- Finally, if you have any questions, or would like to get on our email list, just let us know.
For Encouragement Call 1-800-633-3446 or Chat