Loneliness Can Be Overcome!
Please contact us if you have any questions, comments, or encouragement.
In my life, I have discovered that there’s a difference between solitude and loneliness. I enjoy solitude sometimes, but I prefer to do what I can to avoid loneliness. God created us to be social creatures, not Lone Rangers.
Even though I know that God is always with me, it is important to me to be with people too. I like the acronym: H A L T, which stands for not getting too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. ~ Bill Greguska
Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Loneliness Does Not Have To Linger!
While the resurrection promises us a new and perfect life in the future, God loves us too much to leave us alone to contend with our present life’s pain, guilt, and loneliness. ~ Josh McDowell
Luke 5:16 But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.
Here Are Some Good Ideas To Overcome Loneliness
Loneliness can quickly hook us into a downward spiral, and some people around us with alcohol, drugs, or other destructive idols. If you begin to feel extended periods of loneliness, try some of these ideas below.
A Body In Motion Tends To Stay In Motion, A Body At Rest Tends To Stay At Rest!
- Go for a walk outside nature, run, or do other exercises.
Make A Plan With Someone
- Invite someone to do something fun. Go window shopping at the mall, visit a park, go to a movie, etc.
- Find a good cause you think you might love and volunteer for it.
Humble Yourself By Reaching Out To Others
- Call someone to talk with on the phone or, better yet, get together in person for a soda or coffee. Texting and social media do not count.
- Instead of watching sports, play sports. Instead of just observing things on social media, join in and get involved.
Learn A Brand New Hobby
- If you’ve always wanted to learn to paint or do crafts, don’t just think about it; pursue it.
Join Online Groups That Match Your Interest
- Find like-minded people who can relate to your interests and or problems.
Take a Trip
- Discover a new place (it does not have to be far away), even a short trip, or a new experience that can make you excited and hopeful about it.
Join a Group Or A Class That Interests You
- Find a class. Whether it’s a cooking class or creative art, you’ll start to meet people just signing up.
Learn How Loneliness Can Be Overcome!
Often It Is A Choice We Make
You can deal with loneliness, but it still can be a factor in life during stressful or depressing times. In the meantime, if you seem to have more time on your hands alone, make the best of those moments like Jesus did in the scripture on the top of this page.
When we are kids and have nobody to spend time with, when we change jobs or schools, when a loved one passes away, when we are involved in a divorce, or when we grow old without loved ones around, reach out to people you know and be sure to find your peace with Jesus Christ, make Him your Lord and Savior if you have not done so already?
Remember that you may feel lonely sometimes, but you are never truly alone when you know God! Isolation can be overcome with help from your friends and people trained to help point you to Jesus Christ and His love, grace, and mercy. ~ Bill Greguska
Loneliness Is Normal At Times!
Here Are Some Helpful Links:
- How can I experience joy in my Christian life?
- How was the woman a helper suitable for the man (Genesis 2:18)?
- What does the Bible say about loneliness?
- What does the Bible say about sadness?
- Why did God create us? Why are we here?
Does Loneliness Lead To Depression?
- Ask God to put someone in your life to help you in this area.
- If you realize that loneliness is a problem in your life, you need to start to reach out to others.
- Become a volunteer.
- Force yourself to let someone know about your loneliness.
- Start doing something about your loneliness.
- Get involved in a church or possibly join a local social group, team, or club.
- Consider buying a small pet or cat or dog.
- Sometimes, it’s nice to be alone with your thoughts and to be able to share them with God in your prayer.
- Don’t hide your empty feelings. Here’s what you can do with being alone!
Three Ways To Stop Feeling Lonely!
Some Common Reasons For Loneliness
There are many reasons why people are lonely. Often there are things in life that can pull us away from others. It may be because of rejection, ridicule, being uncomfortable, or being picked on or bullied. To have to deal with it is usually unpleasant for anyone, but it commonly happens because of being alone or unconnected with others. When someone loses a significant person, their life usually always initiates a grief response; in this situation, they might experience profound loneliness, even while in others’ company. Take this test about loneliness.
There is a distinct difference between feeling lonely compared to being socially isolated. If a person thinks they are alone too much, they are most likely lonely, and that person needs to take a step to reach out to others! People can be lonely all by themselves, or in the middle of a gymnasium full of people, or any size group of individuals. There are several estimates and indicators of why people feel lonely. It has been predicted that about 60 million individuals in the United States, or 20% of the total population, feel alone. Loneliness has also been linked to depression and other factors such as anxiety/fear/ anger/ stress, which can become health risk factors if not taken care of.
Some Specific Scriptures To Encourage You:
Isaiah 41:10 ESV
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Psalm 27:10 ESV
For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in.
Matthew 28:20 ESV
Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
Deuteronomy 31:6 ESV
Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”
1 Peter 5:7 ESV
Casting all your anxieties on him because he cares for you.
Genesis 2:18 ESV
Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”
Psalm 23:4 ESV
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Hebrews 13:5 ESV
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Philippians 4:6-7 ESV
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
John 14:18 ESV
“I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
Joshua 1:5 ESV
No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you.
Psalm 147:3 ESV
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
Psalm 68:5-6 ESV
Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation. God settles the solitary in a home; he leads out the prisoners to prosperity, but the rebellious dwell in a parched land.
Psalm 38:9 ESV
O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you.
1 Samuel 12:22 ESV
For the Lord will not forsake his people, for his great name’s sake, because it has pleased the Lord to make you a people for himself.
Psalm 25:16 ESV
Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.
Find Hope And Encouragement From Our Links!
- If you just started believing in God, we have a page specifically for you.
- If you are dealing with anger, stress, or depression, we have information to help you.
- We have phone helplines, website links, and YouTube videos.
- You can learn more about us, our goals, and our purpose.
- If you have a drug/alcohol problem or want to get right with God, you are at the right place!
- If you need to talk to someone right away, call 800-633-3446 or click here.
- Finally, if you have any questions or want to get on our email list, just let us know.
For Encouragement, Call 1-800-633-3446 or Chat